Sunday, February 17, 2008

The New Joba Rules (Suck)

Joba Chamberlain's role this year was uncertain until just recently. He will be used as a reliever until June or so and then convert to a starter. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Joba will also be slated for a month or so in the minors to prepare himself for the rotation.

The Yankee brass is also limiting Joba's innings total to a reasonable 140.

This seems all well and good, but isn't it kind of a big deal that he'll be unavailable, in any capacity, for a few weeks? The bullpen could be a horrendous nightmare. Unless Kyle Farnsworth-less, Edwar "The Stick" Ramirez or someone else can step up, we could be looking at a rough stretch during the summer. My guess is that he dominates as the 8th inning guy once again and that the starters pitch well enough to leave them be, forcing the Yankees to rethink their plan and leave him in the 'pen.

What if you waste all that time getting him ready only to have him pitch with mediocrity as a starter? Not only would it be discouraging, but you would be a reliever short. One that you, I don't know, kind of need. A lot. Let's hope that Ross Ohlendorf can forgo his dorky name and take the job. Or maybe Jonathan Albaladejo. Heck, if he's gone long enough, Humberto Sanchez or Mark Melancon could end up in the bullpen this year.

As a side note, in the article, Sherman spelled Daniel McCutchen's name with an 'O'. Uh, do you read, Joel?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just ran across your blog from the youtube video and I was wondering if you would be interested in blogging at my Yankees blog. I can tell you details in private. You can contact me via the contact form on my blog (it is in the footer.) I look forward to a response.

And about the relieving situation, I don't think the Yanks would send Joba to the minors if we can't find an adequate substitute, atleast I hope not.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you got my last email, I haven't heard a response from you.

Anonymous said...

Hey YankeeFan, I left you another message via the contact form on your website. Did it the last time but i guess it didnt work. Just drop me a line on this comment page or at my email:

UnsungYankees@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

that is weird because I didn't recieve it; anyway I sent you an email